Friday, October 28, 2011

the greats

"Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs."
Jane (Jane Eyre)

"'I sometimes have a queer feeling with regard to you --- especially when you are near me, as now: it is as if I had a string somewhere under my left ribs, tightly and inextricably knotted to a similar string situated in the corresponding quarter of your little frame. And if that boisterous channel, and two hundred miles or so of land come broad between us, I am afraid that cord of communion will be snapt; and then I've a nervous notion I should take to bleeding inwardly.'"
- Rochester (Jane Eyre)

"...Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest as long as I am living! You said I killed you -- haunt me, then! The murdered do haunt their murderers. I believe -- I know that ghosts have wandered on Earth. Be with me always -- take any form -- drive me mad! Only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! It is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"
- Heathcliff (Wuthering Heights)

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself, with desire for what its monstrous laws have made monstrous and unlawful." 
Lord Henry (The Picture of Dorian Gray) 

"Nothing in the way of pleasure can ever be given up by the young men of this age." 
Mrs. Jennings (Sense and Sensibility) 

No comments:

Post a Comment